Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Congratulations (sort of) to Schapelle and Renae

In honor of Indonesia's Independence Day, this August 17, the national government awarded Schapelle Corby and Renae Lawrence (of the Bali 9) sentence reductions. Schapelle's sentence is three months smaller now, and Renae's four.

This reduction comes as a result of Schapelle's and Renae's good and model behavior as prisoners at Kerobokan. It places Schapelle's release date down into the year 2024. I was happy myself to hear the news, but at the same time the 2024 figure is still sobering for its sheer length. Sixteen years away, yet......and Schapelle is 31 now.

It is my hope that Schapelle be cleared of the charges against her - because I believe she is innocent - and that her reputation be restored. I think Schapelle is a fantastic person who deserves all the prayers and encouragement we can give. She does not recieve them without giving back, as seen by her will to fight, her letters in return to supporters, and her efforts at maintaining good humor and goodwill. So, when the lady is released, I will be screaming and jumping for joy - even if it's only in 2024.

No comments: